This project was completed in joint venture with AA Nass Contracting Company of Bahrain as subcontractor to Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd. MHI were main con- tractor for a new Urea Plant (1700 tonnes/day) for Gulf Petrochemical Industries Co. Christiani & Nielsen had a 50 per cent share of the overall value.
The design and construction of an offshore jetty head (226 x 21 metres) in 15 metres water depth, connected to an existing causeway by a 520 metre long cross water combined road access/conveyor support structure and by a further 2500 metre long cross water conveyor trestle to the urea plant facility.
The Sub contract was challenging in both technical and programme aspects. The marine civil work consisted of a delivery and marine loading facility for bulk and bagged urea product. This new marine terminal can take ocean-going ships capable of carrying 60,000-ton cargo and is connected to the Urea Production facility by a 3.3km conveyor system.
Key Construction Elements:
- 625,000 cubic metre of dredging.
- 210 No. 813mm diameter steel piles.
- 181 No. 610mm diameter steel piles.
- 5200 cubic metre concrete in precast/prestressed units.
- 2000 cubic metre concrete insitu works
- 5100 cubic metre of rock/sand at Alba causeway extension